Feb 25 2012 | 1 comments
According to The Praeger Guide to Hearing and Hearing Loss, audiologists bundle follow-on care with hearing aid sales 87% of the time. But why is bundling so widespread?
Hearing Review’s point of view is that, “The bundling of audiologic professional services serves as a form of ‘insurance’ for [audiologic treatments/aural rehabilitation] service. This is because, when a hearing device is purchased, neither the patient nor audiologist knows just how much audiologic intervention will be required or utilized by a given patient.”
However, we suspect that most patients actually have a pretty good sense of their tendency to schedule unusually frequent checkups.
Since you're a good judge of your own likely behavior, you’re in a good position to decide whether you'll be among the only 20% of the population that makes 5 or more follow-up visits in the year after purchasing hearing aids from an audiologist.
If you believe you're likely to be part of this 20%, you may benefit from the "insurance" provided by bundled services. But if this doesn't sound like you, you're likely to be overpaying for hearing aid services you'll never use.
We believe there these are the real reasons for hearing aid bundling:
1) It makes apples-to-apples hearing aid price comparisons difficult. For most people, buying hearing aids online is going to be cheaper in the long run, even if they pay full price for audiologist care. Audiologists have an incentive to obscure this information.
2) It makes hearing aid customers sticky. Let’s imagine you’ve already paid up-front for all of your follow-up care. Even if a friend tells you there is a great new audiologist nearby, you’re not likely to make the switch! Audiologists love this, because a customer who pays in advance, is a customer who's going to stick around.
Buying hearing aids online is a way for customers to "unbundle" the sale and servicing of hearing aids, and reduce overall hearing aid cost.
Recent Blog Posts
- Introducing Embrace Hearing's Award Winning 2017 hearing aids
- How to save money on premium hearing aids
- Hearing Well is a Key to Successful Holiday Celebrations for Everyone!
- A Successful Hearing Aid Experience Starts with a Good Hearing Test
- Can I get just one hearing aid?
- Embrace Hearing Invited to the White House!
- Is buying hearing aids online right for me?
- When I heard how expensive Hearing Aids were, I knew I had to help!
- Embrace Hearing aids with ‘AutoSurround’ work like your brain does.
- Imagine hearing aids that double as jewelry
- Say Hello to the New H-700 from Embrace Hearing
- Too many rock shows? Hearing aids can be a solution.
- Why Should I Buy Hearing Aids Online?
- How Do I Buy Hearing Aids Online?
- How Much Do Hearing Aids Cost?
- Hearing aids and sports - a how to guide
- Hearing loss - Helpful steps to finding a solution
- Adjusting to Hearing Loss - The brain
- Hearing tests? What they measure and how to get one.
- How to maintain hearing aids